Rediscovering Alexander Hamilton aired on PBS this past Monday. Fantastic stuff. Brookheiser uses clever means to bring Hamilton’s legacy to the screen with contemporary relevance. He also engages in some interesting arm-chair psychology as he explores AH’s coming of age in St. Croix. (E.g., speculating that his exposure to the slavery of the sugar cane fields disabused him of any of Jefferson’s romantic notions of an agrarian economy.)
So recent you can still taste the bile
- It’s easy to forget that both major parties are hot messes at the moment.
- There are certain harms that are nonactionable
- Ike’s opinion of Lee – interesting
- When “individuals are abstract and utopian fantasies regnant”
- When nuance is unacceptable and clarity essential
- Astronomy pictures of the fortnight, LXXII – solar eclipse edition
- RCAAs and Plutonomies
- Bipartisan solution to Obamacare
- Trauma, chaos; new consensus to follow?
- Better deal rebranding